This year long reading challenge was put together by LucytheReader on Youtube. The goal is to promote reading classics and to read as many as possible. My personal goal for this challenge is to read one a month. I also made a list of a few books that I want to read as part of that challenge in my original post back in December 2019. Today, I’m going over all the classics I have read so far this year plus a check in on how many I have actually read on that list I made.
In February of this year I decided to subscribe to the Coffee and a Classic book subscription box. They curate fun boxes with beautiful editions of classics. You can choose between getting coffee, hot chocolate, or tea or just choose for them to randomize the choice (which is what I do). The box also comes with a treat and gorgeous mugs and goodies that are made specifically for the book. I will be sharing the boxes that I have received because I have gotten some of my most beautiful books from them. This is a PRICEY subscription box but if you are a huge lover of classics and you are able to subscribe I do recommend them. On the other hand, if you can’t commit to the box but you are interested in some of the goodies then they do have an Etsy shop where you can buy past boxes, mugs or some of their other curated goodies.
I am pleased that I have managed to read 8 classics already this year, but only one of these books is on the list that I made. I also put a couple of classics on my 20 five star predictions for 2020 and I haven’t read either of those yet. Next Thursday, I will have an update on how I have being doing with those five star predictions so that was a bit of a spoiler! Anyways, here are the books I still want/need to read this last half of the year:
*All three of these I read in high school but I want to reread them as an adult.
*These two I have never read but I have been wanting to read these authors for forever.
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott *Purple is my favorite color so I was so thrilled when I saw the book. It also feels incredible. This is my fifth edition of this book!
- “I’d rather take coffee than compliments just now” mug
- Loose Leaf tea (chai) *this was SO good
- Little Women print
- Cake *I added water and cooked it in the microwave. It was the most delicious fudgy cake and the serving size was perfect
- metal fan bookmark *very heavy and nice quality
- The Awakening and other stories by Kate Chopin
- “The artist must possess the courageous soul that dares and defies” art easel print *amazing quality
- Wood bookmark *stunning artwork and quality
- “The voice of the sea speaks to the soul” mug
- Loose leaf tea (not pictured) *great tasting but weak
- Treat (not pictured) *I honestly can’t remember what it was but my kids and I devoured it once I received the box so it must have been delicious!
- Wax melts (not pictured)
- In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
- Black out blend dark roast coffee (it’s in the “evidence” bag- so fun!)
- Black Chalkboard mug
- “Last Meal” (ha!) chocolate covered strawberry popcorn *This is good but also a little weird. I could only eat a few at a time.
- In Cold Blood ice/heat bag
- Life magazine Truman Capote bookmark *As a true crime person I think this is really cool
- Magnet (not pictured)
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo *This edition is so stunning! This picture does it no justice and it feels amazing.
- French Roast Coffee
- Madeline cookies *These were very tasty.
- Incense burner set (you can see part of the sticks on the side of the picture) *I haven’t lit one yet but it still smells so fragrant just in the bag. It also comes with a matchbook that says Hunchback of Notre Dame on them which I think is so beautiful.
- Metal pendant bookmark *This is also wonderfully crafted and lovely to look at.
- Cathedral of Notre Dame mug (not pictured)
- Hunchback of Notre Dame luminary *This came with a tea light so you can tape the paper in a circle and place the light inside. The paper is so stunning that I think I might just frame it and hang it up somewhere in my house.
*My July box is currently on its way to me so I will share that in a separate post whenever I receive it.
One thought on “#ClassicsCommunity Mid Year Update + Book Subscription”